My name is David Brown and I've created this website to provide you with the opportunity to view a selection of my latest bird sightings and wildlife images.
My local patch includes a selection of sites in and around Bishop Auckland, which include Etherley Moor, Bishops Park, The Batts, Escomb and Low Barns. Gaunless Flats and a selection of other local sites of interest are visited throughout each year, but are not included in my patch list(s).
Living in Bishop Auckland places me in a perfect position to explore some of the excellent birds and scenery that can be found in County Durham with Weardale, Teesdale, Teesside (Cleveland), South Tyneside and a number of sites in the central areas of the county being visited when opportunities arrive.
- Local Patch – (Bishop Auckland, Bishops Park, The Batts, Escomb, Low Barns, Etherley Moor & more)
- The Dales – (Black Grouse, Red Grouse, Red Kite, Ring Ouzel & more)
- Teesside – (Wildfowl, Waders, Rarities & more)
- South Tyneside – (Red Kite, Seabirds, Wildfowl, Terns & Waders)
Northumberland, North Yorkshire, Cleveland & Cumbria border the county, which are also visited when rarities are reported. Trips outside these areas are usually confined to twitching the mega's and other rarities that are reported via Twitter, Birdguides and the RBN Network.
I do not claim to know everything there is about the birds and wildlife that can be found in and around County Durham, but I certainly know the area and where certain species can be found.
The gear I use for birdwatching and photography purposes includes the following:
- Kowa TSN-823 Scope with 32x eyepiece
- Leica 10x42 Ultravid Binoculars
- Canon 7D mk2 & 70D
- Canon PowerShot S90 for Digiscoping
- Canon 100 – 400 mk2 zoom
- Canon 70 – 200 F2.8L IS zoom
- Canon 24 – 70 F2.8L zoom
- Canon Extender EF 1.4x
- Tubes for macro photography
- Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash Unit
At this point, I need to make you aware that all images displayed on these pages are copyright protected, so please ask for permission if you intend to use the images and information for anything other than personal use (a small fee may apply if you are not a David Brown Website Design, Imaging & Photography customer or charitable organisation).